Telegram just release the new version 8.7 of its app for iOS and Android platforms that let you create or add your custom notification sounds or alerts from your favorite music or memes such as meows. To add new sounds, open any chat and tap the profile icon (or three dots menu on Android) then tap the mute icon (on Android tap Notifications) and choose the “Customize” option from the list, there you will see the Telegram Tones (on Android, choose a “Sound” option from the General section), simply tap the “Upload Sound” button and then upload your custom sound/tone, once it added to the Telegram Tones list, select that tone name and tap the Done button, that’s it.
Note: The new update to the Telegram app for custom notification sounds or tones supports only audio files and voice messages under 5 seconds with up to 300K in file size.
You can access your sounds on all your devices via Settings > Notifications and Sounds. There you can add new tones and set sounds for individual chats or entire groups of chats.
Full changelog of Telegram app ver. 8.7
- Custom Notification Sounds
- Use any short music file or voice message as a notification sound.
- Press and hold audio files in chats to add them to your list of sounds – or use ‘Upload Sound’ in the Notifications menu.
- Tap Mute > Customize on the chat info page to change its notification settings.
- Set custom tones by chat type in Settings > Notifications and Sounds.
- Custom Mute Durations
- Tap the Mute button on a chat’s info page to manage its notifications.
- Choose ‘Mute for…’ to turn off notifications for a preset period, like 1 hour or 1 day.
- Disable alerts until a specific date and time via Mute for… > Mute until…
- New Auto-Delete Menu in Profiles
- Quickly configure Auto-Delete settings from any chat info page.
- Tap (⋯) to turn on Auto-Delete – select ‘Other’ to set a specific duration.
- Replies in Forwarded Messages
- Replies are now preserved when forwarding messages, making forwarded conversations easier to read.
- Shop Bots
- Bots can now open detailed pages directly in the chat.
- Use these streamlined interfaces to buy real-world goods and services without leaving the app.
- Instantly Configure Bot Admins
- Open a bot’s profile to add it to your group or channel.
- Instantly configure a bot’s rights and permissions when adding it.
- Bots can send a new type of button that lets you add them to your group or channel.
- Improved Message Translation
- Message translation now works with more languages, including Ukrainian, and delivers better results.
- Turn on the Translation option in Settings > Languages.
- Press and hold a message to translate it into another language.
Another cool update in the Telegram app is custom mute duration, this will pause notifications for a specific duration which you can choose from specific lengths like hours, days, weeks or months. To mute notification for a specific chat, open the specific chat that you wanted to set a custom mute duration, then tap the “Notifications” option and choose “Mute for” and select the specific hours or days or weeks or even months.
This update also brings a new “Auto-delete” menu in chat profiles, this can be enabled in any chat to make a conversation more confidential or less cluttered. To set auto-delete, open any chat that you wanted to use auto-delete, then choose more on iOS which is indicated in horizontal three dots or vertical three dots on Android and then choose the “Enable Auto-Delete” (on iOS) or “Auto-Delete” (on Android) option then pick the auto-delete duration ranges from 1 day to 1 year.
Moving to other updates, the Telegram app now lets you easily translate any chats into other languages, simply tap on the message to translate it into your language. But first, you need to enable this Translate button in the message, to enable it, head over to app “Settings” on iOS from the bottom menu or tap the hamburger icon on Android devices to enter the Telegram app settings and choose “Language” from the options and then turn on the “Show Translate button” option from the Translation Messages section. Now return to the chat and tap the message in chat and simply tap the “Translate” option to translate that other language message into your language.
The picture-in-picture on Android has also been improved. The new updates to the Telegram app on the Android platform, added a pinch to change its size to the player window, press the X button to close it quickly, and there you will be noticing that, the player window has also been improved, its now in rounded corner design.
There’s also a new animation interface for changing your phone number in Settings with animated ducks to walk you through the process.
And there’s a more animated emoji if you’re looking for Food That Moves, simply send a message with a single emoji to get one of these in a chat.
And finally the major improvement to bots. For more details, read the Bot Revolution and Instantly Configure Bot Admins section on the Telegram blog.