Semtech Collaborates With Everynet to track Covid vaccine in Indonesia

Nov 20, 2021, 5:42 PM EST
3 mins read
Semtech Collaborates With Everynet to track Covid vaccine in Indonesia

California-based Semtech and IoT network provider Everynet are collaborating with Telkom Indonesia to track and monitor the temperature of the Covid-19 vaccine.

Using a LoRaWan, the insulated vaccine carriage promises to reduce waste, boost consumer confidence, and raise vaccination rates. Because vaccines must be maintained at precise temperatures to remain effective, the insulated vaccine carrier provides an end-to-end solution that collects a continuous and consistent data stream in real-time.

“Over the last two years, Everynet has been laying the groundwork along with our partner Telkom Indonesia to deploy a public LoRaWan in Indonesia,” said Ali Fahmi, Indonesia country manager for Everynet. “The end result now features over 200 Indonesian cities with LoRaWan coverage, with plans to further expand the coverage to more cities. The LoRaWan is ready to deliver simple, highly efficient, flexible and secure IoT throughout Indonesia.”


To save expensive upfront infrastructure build-out and maintenance, the insulated vaccination carrier uses a national LoRaWan network in Indonesia. Furthermore, for this use case, LoRaWan communication provides great security and connection quality. Overall, it can maintain temperature stability for safer vaccines for longer periods of time, reducing the wastage of this life-saving resource.

“The insulated vaccine carrier is leveraging IoT and LoRaWan to send accurate data and log the temperature systematically during distribution,” said Edi Witjara, director of enterprise and business service at Telkom Indonesia. “This relay of data will assist to guarantee the quality of the vaccine to comply with the regulation from Ministry of Health in Indonesia.”

Ibnu Alinursafa, senior manager for IoT platforms at Telkom Indonesia, added: “The LoRa-based insulated vaccine carrier accelerates the vaccination program across Indonesia and is providing a quality service for the end customer.”


To maintain the efficacy of Covid-19 vaccinations, deep-freeze temperatures must be maintained throughout the supply chain. The vaccine temperature must be regularly monitored, recorded, and reported throughout the supply chain in order to ensure an appropriate environment for the vaccine.

The insulated vaccination carrier is a completely wireless, automated monitoring device thanks to the LoRaWan standard’s versatility. A notification is provided to the end-user if an unusual in the data stream is discovered, such as a reduction or rise in temperature, so that they can take prompt corrective action.

“Everynet and Telkom Indonesia’s successful implementation of the LoRaWan standard for the insulated vaccine carrier is a great way to maintain the safe delivery of vaccines, which are critical in the fight against Covid-19 and other deadly diseases,” said Marc Pégulu, vice president at Semtech. “Now, critical aspects of the vaccine supply chain can be monitored at all times, highlighting a real-life LoRaWan use for a critical need that is making the planet, and its citizens, healthier in a smarter manner.”


Everynet is a LoRaWan operator based in Finland that offers carrier-grade networks throughout Asia, EMEA, and the Americas. Its neutral host network concept enables mobile network operators, MVNOs, and global MSPs to quickly and successfully deliver low-cost IoT with no upfront public investment.

PT Telkom Indonesia (Persero) is an Indonesian telecommunications network and state-owned information and communications technology company. The Indonesian government owns 52.09% of the stock, with public shareholders owning the remaining 47.91%.

We may receive a portion of sales if you purchase a product through a link in this article at no cost to you, though all opinions are our own. For more information, please read our ethics statement. Please note that pricing and availability are subject to change.

Semtech Collaborates With Everynet to track Covid vaccine in Indonesia

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments