The new PS5 April update brings some major features and improvements which include a new USB extended storage option, and social share features.
The new USB extended storage options let you transfer the PS5 games to USB extended storage from the PS5 internal storage so you can extend the storage capacity of your PS5 with that you can also copy your PS5 games to the PS5 internal storage when you are ready to play games.
Kindly note that PS5 games can’t be playable from USB extended storage, as well as PS5 games also cannot be directly downloaded to USB extended storage. The PS5 games can be playable when you transfer or copy to PS5 internal storage. You can learn more about PS5 USB extended storage from here.
In their announcement, PlayStation also revealed the PS5 console will support storage expansion via M.2 drives in the future.
With the PS5 April update, players can now share their screen with a friend, pass the controller virtually to a friend, or even pass a second controller virtually to play co-op games together via share play.
A selection of your friends’ joinable game sessions will now appear on both PS5 and PS4 consoles, allowing for more gameplay opportunities together. The “Request to Join” option also serves as a shortcut to sending a game invite, reducing the time it takes for you to get into games with friends. Through the Privacy Settings menu, you can modify who can interact with you through parties, games, and messages.
The new update also improves Game Base for quicker access to important content and features. You can now easily switch between Parties and Friends to start chatting with your existing parties or see what each of your online friends is up to. In addition, you can turn notifications on or off for each of the parties you’re in.
There are various enhancement and personalization options updates for PS5 consoles:
- Disable Game Chat or Adjust Players’ Volume. You can now quickly disable in-game chat, which turns off your mic audio and the voice audio of other players. Additionally, you can easily adjust the individual voice chat volume of other players in the same chat so you don’t have to ask your friends to lower or increase their mic volume each time.
- Game Update Pre-download. Once it’s enabled by developers, title updates for games will pre-download to your console if the “automatic updates” setting is enabled and your console is on or in rest mode. This will let you start playing the latest version of a game immediately after the update’s release.
- Customize Game Library. With the ability to search your library or hide games from view, it’s now easier to find content and personalize your view of your game library.
- Screen Zoom. You can now adjust the magnification of the screen to suit your preference from the Settings menu.
- New Trophy Settings and Stats Screen. The level of trophies that results in automatic capture of a screenshot or video clip can now be customized — so you can now choose to only capture and save images/videos of moments when you earn higher-grade trophies, like Gold or Platinum. We’re also introducing a new player Trophy Stats screen, where you can check out the summary of your trophy level and status at a glance.
Sony’s PS5 also announced new myriad features for the PlayStation app so you can now easily connect with your console experience remotely. PlayStation also told more updates will be coming soon which includes the ability to join a multiplayer session on PS5 from the app, manage your PS5 console storage, compare trophy collections with friends, and sort and filter products shown in the PlayStation Store.