Warner Bros. Discovery’s upcoming rebranding of HBO Max to “Max” and the addition of Discovery+ content has been making waves in the streaming world. The revamped streaming service will launch on May 23 with a price point comparable to Netflix and will combine shows from the Discovery portfolio with HBO Max’s already robust lineup.
However, some have expressed doubts about the potential success of Max, questioning whether the forgettable name will be enough to change the dynamics of the market. While WBD’s pitch for the service may be believable, the real question is whether the addition of Discovery+ content will be enough to sway those who have previously ruled out HBO Max.
One factor that may help differentiate Max from its competitors is its eventual addition of news and live sports. Streaming chief JB Perrette noted that the inclusion of HBO in the service’s name had narrowed its appeal, given that HBO was associated with edgy, adult programming. However, the name change to “Max” is not likely to mean anything to anyone, making it difficult to attract new subscribers.
Furthermore, the addition of family-friendly options like Disney+ and Netflix means that households are becoming increasingly cost-conscious about adding yet another subscription to their list. While WBD’s new user interface may make it easier for subscribers to find shows and increase the amount of programming they watch, the real test will be whether Max can attract subscribers in the first place.
Despite these challenges, WBD’s new streaming effort promises to be a true journey of discovery. The combination of Discovery+ content with HBO Max’s existing lineup has the potential to create a worthy competitor to Netflix, and the eventual addition of news and live sports could further differentiate the service.
What is Max?
Max is an enhanced streaming service, delivering unparalleled quality content for everyone in the household. It is the destination for HBO Originals, Warner Bros. films, Max Originals, the DC universe, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, an expansive offering of kids content, and best-in-class programming across food, home, reality, lifestyle and documentaries from leading brands like HGTV, Food Network, Discovery Channel, TLC, ID and more.
How can I start watching Max?
New subscribers can sign up when Max launches on May 23 at Max.com and through participating partners.
Can I stream Max if I’m already an HBO Max or discovery+ subscriber?
- All HBO Max subscribers will have access to Max. Check out this FAQ page to get ready for May 23. On Max launch day, a large portion of subscribers will have their apps automatically updated to Max. Others will need to download the updated Max app to access the expanded catalog. HBO Max subscribers will have their previous profiles, settings, watch history, “Continue Watching” and “My List” items waiting for them to stream on Max.
- discovery+ subscribers can sign-up as new Max customers for an expanded catalog. We’ll offer ample opportunities for them to check out Max by providing extended free trials and other promotional offers.
How much does a Max subscription cost?
Max will offer three pricing options, giving subscribers the choice to select which plan best fits the needs of their household. Existing HBO Max subscribers will have access to Max at the same price as their HBO Max subscription and can visit http://help.hbomax.com/introducingMax to find out more.
- Max Ad-Lite: 2 concurrent streams, 1080p resolution, no offline downloads, 5.1 surround sound quality
- Max Ad-Free: 2 concurrent streams, 1080 resolution, 30 offline downloads, 5.1 surround sound quality
- Max Ultimate Ad-Free: 4 concurrent streams, up to 4K UHD resolution, 100 offline downloads, Dolby Atmos sound quality
Are there any new features to be aware of?
- Better Playback: Max’s new video playback experience will deliver smooth and cinematic video to users, wherever and however they prefer to watch.
- A more prominent kids experience that is intuitive and easy to set up. The whole household can enjoy new shows like Peter and the Wolf and Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai, as well as Tiny Toons Looniversity, Batwheels, We Baby Bears, season eight of Teen Titans GO!, and classics like Sesame Street, Looney Toons, Scooby-Doo and more.
- Better Personalization & Simplified Navigation: Max will expand personalization beyond just the home page, offering a unique experience for every user across the whole service. Whether you know exactly what you want to watch, you’re looking for personalized recommendations, or you’re in the mood to explore new interests, Max makes the journey to clicking play effortless.
- Access to an expanded catalog of 4K UHD content (Ultimate Ad-Free Tier Only)
What will happen to HBO Max and discovery+?
- HBO Max will become Max. On May 23, subscribers will be able to access the entire HBO Max catalog plus thousands of hours of new content from discovery+ on the Max app.
- The lower-priced offering of discovery+ will still be available in the U.S. as we are focused on making our stories accessible to all consumers.
Where will Max be available?
Max will be available in the U.S. at launch. We’ll then begin rolling out in international markets where HBO Max is currently available, starting with Latin America later in 2023, followed by select countries across Europe and Asia in 2024.